Hop Processing / Hop Milling
Increase profit & reduce fresh produce waste today!Book free demo
Hop processing software from farmsoft provides cutting edge software for the management of hop processing and hop milling and packing. Including hop quality control, staff, inventory, hope sales, dispatch, and hop storage. All of the powerful features of FarmSoft Packhouse Management can be used in the hop processing, milling and packing industry.
For exporters of hops, farmsoft hop processing software maintains exceptionally high standards of traceability for all hop processing, hop warehousing, and hop exporting processes.
FarmSoft manages the entire process of receiving hops from your own farm or from external suppliers, through the quality control, grading, sorting, drying, milling, packing, dispatch and sales process.
FarmSoft Hop Packhouse Manager provides a flexible solution for the modern hop processor and hop miller. FarmSoft Hop Packhouse Manager is extremely flexible and can cater for the subtle differences between each hop processor. The solution integrates with the FarmSoft Hop Farm Management ERP solutions, with interfaces for all smartphones and tablets such as Android and Apple devices. Download the FarmSoft Hop Packhouse Software brochure.
Hop Processing & Milling Software: FarmSoft Hop Processing software delivers extensive business management for the contemporary hop processor and hop miller. Today’s modern hop miller is flooded with hop handling and food safety regulations from local regulations to export requirements. FarmSoft Hop Processing Manager helps make the regulatory headache go away, whilst assisting the hop packhouse to increase profitability and quality. Hop processing becomes more efficient and recording traceability and management records requires no effort with FarmSoft Hop Processing Manager. Remote access from smartphones keeps hop processors management and owners up to date with hop processing performance and allows mobile monitoring and hop processing control. Advanced features manage hop traceability, hop quality, hop flavor, hop aroma, and hop inventory.
- Manage all Hop Processing & Milling operations
- Hop processing and milling management for hops provided by external farms and your own farms
- Hop processing inventory management of all hops, in all states
- Management of production process for both whole hop or hop pellets
- Hop processing traceability
- Hop Processing standards and compliance support (USDA, BRC, HACCP, GlobalGAP, ISO)
- Capture USDA hop analysis results, USDA Brewing Value Certificate, Commodity Inspection Certificate including Leaf and Stem, etc…
- Dispatch, orders, and sales order, sales, invoicing
- Supports hop export regulations and processes
- hop sorting, fruit grading, processing, milling
- Woks with any hop drying and processing facilities design
- Hop traceability for PTI (Produce Traceability Initiative), USDA, ISO, HACCP, and many other standards
- Hop tracking and advanced traceability systems
- Support for mobile devices
- Configure unlimited quality control programs, including specific programs for specific hop, hop variety, customer, or finished product (pellet, whole, syrup)
- Tests can be for almost anything, such as testing incoming hops, outgoing hops, pre pack, pre graded hops, factory cleanliness test, employee performance, task quality control etc. You can define the subject (thing) that you are testing
- Each hop quality test can be a pass/fail, or range style test (ie: where results must be within the range of two numbers, or above or below a number)
- Automatically force hops to be put on hold if selected tests fail
- Manually put hops on hold for further inspection and corrective actions
- On screen alerts for hops that have been put on hold
- Set the number of tests to make the entire hop test program fail
- Set individual tests to make an entire test program fail
- Set the number of tests in a Category to make the entire hop test program fail
- Each hop quality control program can be configured to have unlimited categories
- Each hop quality control category can have unlimited tests
- Each hop quality control program can record important details such as version, manager, and hop quality control documentation can be directly attached to the quality control program
- Configure unlimited “classes” that can be assigned to hops
- Configure unlimited “features” that can be assigned to hops. There can be four sets of features, for example color, grade, size, pack, etc.
Flexible configuration allows you to specify which hop quality tests require information such as:
- Pallet number
- Inventory number
- Transport Company
- Task Number
- Storage Location
- Hop Variety
Download the FarmSoft Packhouse Software brochure or watch the fruit packing video.
Valente produces complete systems for innovative crops
Fruit orchards need to be safeguarded not only against hail, but also against insects. Posts and threads are essential for some stone fruits and all top fruits but, lately, solutions have also been introduced for climbing plants such as hops. Valente Pali is a leading company in this segment.
A hop system is made up of a tensile structure with prestressed concrete posts connected by steel threads anchored to the ground. Valente developed a precise know-how specifically for this product and systems are set up following a few important design specifications.
Posts are generally larger and sturdier than those used for traditional orchards and vineyards, as they need to be taller to favor plant productivity.
The system put in place by Valente comes complete with accessories designed specifically for hops and enables the attainment of the maximum production efficiency while increasing the number of plants.
Hops are perennial flowering plants part of the Cannabaceae family, they can grow up to 7 meters high and last around 25 years. They grows spontaneously along river banks or on the edge of woods, in cool not-too-humid areas up to 1200 meters asl on fertile well-drained soil.
Plants can be placed along the posts or between them, guaranteeing full stability in both cases. Valente works with Mrhops on systems relating to hop cultivation.
This way, growers can have one single point of reference for the entire production process from purchasing plants (from the many variants available) to choosing a system.
Valente also established a partnership with the Tuscia University in Viterbo. The company sponsors the research for a new hop plant that seems to have promising results.
"The hop market has grown a lot in the beer-making industry over the past few years, so much so that one kg of hops is currently sold to breweries at €15-100 (or even more for particularly prestigious varieties)."
Complex and local cultivation keeps Poperinge common hop exclusive
Every year, around Christmas, REO Veiling honours the growers of common hop shoots. The history of common hops goes back a long way and the product is known as an exclusive delicacy.
“Common hop shoots used to only be picked in open ground. This limited the season to three weeks. Due to cultivation research and developments Poperinge common hop shoots can now also be grown in a heated place. This lengthens the season by four months and makes common hop shoots available from the Christmas period until mid April,” according to REO’s commercial director Dominiek Keersebilck. The Poperinge product will only increase in exclusivity he says, as the area has been decreasing for years. “It is mainly passionate growers who are working to keep this delicate crop alive,” says Dominiek. An effort which has been recognised by the European Commission after years of lobbying, with the common hop shoots now recognised as a regional product.
“As a step up to Europe the growers have been using the VLAM streekproduct.be label since 2007,” says Dominiek. “After this Flemish recognition and with support of the REO Veiling, European recognition of Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) followed in 2013. The commission saw sufficient connections between the properties of common hop shoots and the ground it is grown in. Partially due to this the Poperinge common hop shoots can compete easily with cheaper variations that are grown using the labour intensive process in Eastern Europe increasingly often. By extension the REO Veiling has been marketing Poperinge common hop shoots under the quality label Fine Fleur, REO Veiling’s home brand since 2014.
Despite the area decreasing, Dominiek sees the versatility of the common hop shoots increase each year. “The first box is auctioned around Christmas to be supplied to famous chefs such as Sergio Herman. They create fantastic dishes with the common hop shoots. The results of the biennial competition between young top chefs also shows that the product is loved and has enough opportunities to supply connoisseurs with this delicacy. The common hop shoot is also hitching a ride on the trend of so-called forgotten vegetables being put in the spotlights.”
The limited availability means that the modern consumer is more likely to find the common hop on their plate in the better restaurants rather than on the shelves of the local supermarket. “With a harvest of around 1500 kilos per year and the price of 75 Euro per kilo it makes little sense to create more demand,” according to Dominiek. (AB)